RT @ChattanoogaPD: Activists & #ChattPD taking a knee together during peaceful protest in #Chattanooga this evening. https://t.co/0U8SpHa5xh

View Our
Facebook Page!

Report Fraud, Waste,
and Abuse

Online Services Payments, GIS Maps, Tax Information
Contact Department contacts, Reports and Requests


Driveway connections and permits

City Code (Sections 32-146 and 32-147) ARTICLE VII

These sections of the city code require that no person shall construct a driveway across any sidewalk or cut or drop any curb within the city without first obtaining a permit from the city engineer. And the location of all curb cuts, points of ingress and egress from all streets, parking and loading areas for all uses shall be approved by the traffic engineer before a building permit shall be issued.


Fort Wood Parking Permit

If you reside in the Fort Wood Parking District (800-999 Vine Street, 800-999 Oak Street, 800-999 Fortwood Street, 800-999 Clark Street or 500-599 Fortwood Place) you are required to purchase a parking permit if you wish to take advantage of on-street parking.  The permit is renewed yearly and the cost for the yearly permit is $25.00.  You may apply for a permit by completing this permit and emailing it to ldaniel@chattanoogaparking.org, or mail to Chattanooga Parking Authority, 1362 Market Street Chattanooga, TN 37402.  For additional information, please call Chattanooga Parking Authority at (423) 648-4031.  Once the application is approved, a sticker is issued and must be affixed to the rear left bumper.


Handicapped Parking Space Requirements

As of January 31, 1995 the City of Chattanooga has required the pavement logo, blue crosshatching, and sign as shown by the standard drawing to delineate handicapped parking. Parking lots that existed before this date are not "grand fathered" in. During the plans and review process new parking lots are required to follow this standard. As businesses have parking lots sealed or re-striped this design shall be incorporated as required by Article II, Section 100 (67) of the Chattanooga Zoning Ordinance. While this office has attempted to contact all the striping companies it can, correct installation is ultimately the responsibility of the owner. The owners (or their agents) of parking lots that have no handicapped parking delineation are requested to comply as we receive complaints. Please refer to the City of Chattanooga Handicapped Parking Standard Drawing.


Parking Layout Dimension Guidelines

Parking stalls are 9' wide x 18' deep with 25' two way drives.  Other options are detailed in City of Chattanooga Parking Dimensions.


Parking Lot Marking and Signing Requirements

As of April 22, 2003 the City of Chattanooga has adopted an ordinance (Part II, Chapter 24, Section 272) relative to the installation of signs, signals, markings, or other devices intended to regulate, warn, or guide traffic on private property. This ordinance requires that all privately owned parking lots conform to the Uniform Vehicle Code and the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, 2000 edition.

General guidlines for marking parking lots are in this document. The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices can be found on the FHWA site: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/

Correction notices are typically issued that give the property owner (or their agents) 60 days to comply. After that period, a court citation may be issued. The maximum fine for each court citation is $50.00, not including court costs. Additional information and assistance can be obtained by calling the City Traffic Engineer's Office (423-643-5950).


Parking Requirements for Residential and Commercial Projects

Download this table for a summary of parking requirements. The full version can be found in the Chattanooga City Code Zoning Regulations Appendix B.


Parking meters

All on-street parking meters and multi-space meters are managed by CARTA. Please visit www.chattanoogaparking.org

Development Resource Center
1250 Market Street, Suite 3030 (map)
Chattanooga, TN 37402
Office Hours: 8 am to 4:30 pm
Phone: (423) 643-5950

Request new or report problems with existing traffic control devices by calling 311, (423) 643-6311, or by visiting CHA311.com.

Brian May