@NextLevelChatt RT: "Excited to be here with @Chattanooga_gov at their Purchasing Open House TODAY til 4." http://t.co/aaeOK5QPzf
Online Services Payments, GIS Maps, Tax Information
Contact Department contracts, Reports and Requests
  • JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 63

Special Events & Street Closures

Chattanooga Street Closure Map

Click here to open a full screen, zoom-able map with a legend showing all current closures.  You can zoom and pan to find more detailed information about each closure.


How to permit an event in Chattanooga:

A single event may need several permits.

If at any point in the process you have a question, then you may call the Transportation Department at 423-643-5950 and request assistance from our Public Space Coordinator.

1) The first consideration is location: Each event will need one or more of the following permits based on where the event takes place. Answer the following questions:

Will the event require participants to be in or cross a City street?

If yes, then complete the Transportation Department's Special Event Permit application.  This street closure permit is fully explained after the chart below.

Will the event be in a City Park or Facility (list of City parks)?

If yes, then review the Park Event Calendars to check availability and make your Park and/or Facility Reservations by calling the City's call center at 3-1-1 or (423) 425-6311 or enter your request online. Full details on reservations here.

Will the event be in a Hamilton County Park or Facility (list of County parks)?

If yes, then county park reservations are made by calling 423-842-0177. The TN Riverpark facility availability can be checked on their Rental Reservation Calendar.

Will the event be in the TN River?

If yes, then complete USCG & TWRA Marine Event Permits. These are for regattas, swimming, or other marine events on, over, or adjacent to navigable waters.

2) The second consideration is the activity: Each event may need one or more of the following permits based on what takes place. Answer the following questions:

Will the event include beer?

If yes, then call 423-643-5156 for a City of Chattanooga Special Event Beer Permit. The application fee is $250 and requires attending a Beer Board Meeting which are held the 1st & 3rd Thursday of each month. Applications are due 10 days before the meeting.

Will the event include liquor?

If yes, then call 423-634-6434 for a State of TN Alcoholic Beverage Commission Special Occasion License. The license is $100 per day. Applications must be received at least 14 days before the event.

Will the event have sound amplification?

If yes, then call 423-634-5800 to see if a City of Chattanooga Noise Permit will be required. There is no fee, but Applications must be received at least 15 working days before the event.


The following chart shows all the steps listed above and it may be downloaded (EventProcess.pdf) with the links and contacts for each permit.


Special events, block parties, and other street closures

The Chattanooga Transportation Department manages the Special Event Permit. This is required for anyone desiring to temporarily close a city street(s) or portion(s) thereof. The Special Event Permit application may be downloaded here or obtained from the Transportation Department in Suite 3030 of the Development Resource Center at 1250 Market Street, Chattanooga, TN, 37402 or by calling (423) 643-5950. Applications are to be submitted with a $100 non-refundable application fee 90 days before the planned closure. Block parties outside the central business district with less than 50 participants may be submitted a minimum of 30 days before the planned closure and their fee is $25.

Printing of brochures, publishing routes, or committing to a specific date should not be done until after the permit has been approved. We will work to accommodate requested event dates and routes, but may be limited by the other activities or the availability of support personnel. Most events are permitted on a first come first serve basis.

Once an event is approved, the applicant will be sent a permit and a Traffic Control Plan. The Traffic Control Plan will detail the traffic signs, barricades and Chattanooga Police Officers required for the closure. The event organizer is to obtain, install, and remove the various traffic control devices required by the plan. These devices shall conform to the standards as specified in the current edition of The Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Signs and barricades can be rented. Four local barricade companies are:

  • A-1 Barricades - 624 Snow St, Chattanooga, TN, 37405 (423) 265-3054
  • Chattanooga Flasher Barricade - 5300 Dayton Blvd, Chattanooga, TN, 37415 (423) 892-1543
  • Superior Traffic Control - 6020 Pinehurst St, Chattanooga, TN, 37421 (423) 413-0946
  • T. R. Moore & Associates, Inc. - 830 McCallie Ave, Chattanooga, TN, 37403 (423) 266-6118

Transforming public places

Chattanooga's Transportation Department is accepting applications to transform public rights-of-way such as sidewalks, on-street parking spaces, travel lanes, and full street widths into active, inviting streets.  Pedestrian-centered projects expand public spaces, calm traffic, and increase safety for people who walk, bike, and take transit. They also encourage walking and bicycling, build a sense of community, and increase foot traffic for local businesses.  Organizations and business owners can use this form for a Transportation Department review of enhancement projects in the City right-of-way.  Applicants will need to identify an appropriate site, show neighborhood support for the project, raise funds required for materials and installation, and provide long-term management, maintenance, and operations of the project.  Transportation Department staff will work with the applicant to create a plan that can be presented to City Council for final approval.

Possible projects to bring your community to life:

Bicycle Corrals - repurposing an on-street parking space with bicycle racks—enough space for 10 bicycles to lock up in place of one car.



Parklets - small spaces that expand the sidewalk into parking spaces or travel lanes to provide amenities and green space.


Pedestrian Plaza - creates accessible pedestrian zone in a commercial area by closing a street to most automobile traffic. Emergency vehicles have access at all times and delivery vehicles are restricted.



Resources to empower citizens in reclaiming their public space.

NACTO Urban Street Design Guide: http://nacto.org/usdg/

Reclaiming Public Space: http://issuu.com/civicdesigncenter/docs/ncdc_reclaimingpublicspace/1





























Development Resource Center
1250 Market Street, Suite 3030 (map)
Chattanooga, TN 37402
Office Hours: 8 am to 4:30 pm
Phone: (423) 643-5950

Request new or report problems with existing traffic control devices by calling 311 (or (423) 643-6311 ) to access the City of Chattanooga's one-stop call center.

Brian May