Message From the Chief
Welcome from Fire Chief Chris Adams
Welcome to the City of Chattanooga's Fire Department Webpage. Whether you are a citizen of Chattanooga or a visitor to our great city, rest assured an elite group of men and women stand ready to protect you and your family 24/7!
Since 1871, we have had a singular mission: reduce the loss of life and minimize property damage for the people in our growing city. We've worked wisely to that end, investing in technology and recruiting a highly trained and dedicated force of firefighters. We have challenged ourselves to continue to innovate and evolve in order to perform our duties in the most effective and efficient ways possible. Today, more than 400 firefighters wear a patch on their sleeves that reminds them of the faith and trust that has been placed in their hands. It's a symbol of our commitment to excellence and an honor we take very seriously, from our fire stations to our administrative offices and everywhere in between.
By budgeting for outcomes in five key areas, our department has served an important role in Chattanooga becoming America's best mid-sized city.
- Safer Streets: The department has 26 companies ready to respond to incidents involving fire, hazardous materials, confined space, high angle rescue, building collapse, medical emergencies, and mass casualty incidents.
- Stronger Neighborhoods: Our department has 19 stations rooted in our communities, involved in day to day activities outside of emergency response, and being positive influences on neighborhood children and adults.
- Smarter Students: Fire prevention and community fire stations team up to bring fire safety and educational programs to all ages and demographics in our city.
- Growing Economy: The CFD is a ISO Class 2 department that provides fire protection for large company investments and the city's workforce, as well as all residential communities within Chattanooga.
- High-Performing Government: The CFD serves alongside a Mayor and City Council who are progressive in funding public safety while prioritizing budget expenditures throughout the city.
Please view other areas of our webpage for employment opportunities and the history of our department. We have a dynamic department that strives to provide the best possible services to the citizens of Chattanooga, Tennessee! Please also let us know if you have any suggestions for improving the website or our department.
Thanks for visiting!