Click here to view garbage collection trucks, in real time.
- Garbage is collected weekly. If you do not know your collection day, call 311 or view our interactive map.
- Containers must be placed on the curbside by 7:00 a.m. on collection day.
- To eliminate odor and insects, reduce spillage, and discourage animals from getting into garbage containers, all household garbage must be placed in tightly secured bags.
- Do not overfill garbage containers.
- Do not place garbage on the ground or on top of an automated container.
- Lids must be closed completely.
- Do not leave bags or containers out overnight.
- Collection crews will not pick up spills or litter resulting from unbagged garbage, overfilled containers, or scavenging.
- Items that may pose a safety or health risk to public works employees, the public, or property when collected will not be picked up. Hazardous materials such as oil-based paint, pesticides, or battery acid cannot be disposed of at the City Landfill and may be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility.
- Small amounts of brush or yard trimmings may be disposed of in garbage containers if they are bagged.
- Garbage collection trucks do not service alleys, private driveways, or privately owned parking lots.
- For your safety, never approach the collection equipment while operating.
- Garbage containers are intended for storing non-recyclable kitchen and bathroom garbage for disposal. Please recycle.
Automated Garbage Container Placement
- The wheels and handles on the garbage container should be against the curb.The arrows on the lid and front of the container should be point towards the street.
- Containers must be within 2-feet of the curb, at least 3-feet from any obstruction, and 20-feet from vehicles parked along the street.
- If you encounter problems moving a wheeled container because of your physical abilities please call 311.
- Remove containers from the curbside after the scheduled collection day.
- If you have questions regarding the placement of your container please call 311.
- Garbage is collected on all days except Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
Residential service locations
- Residential service locations may maintain up to two garbage containers.
- No more than seven garbage containers will be assigned, maintained, or serviced at any residential property.
- A garbage container will be assigned to residential properties at no cost when the service location is first added to the mechanical collection system.
Non-residential service locations
- Non-residential properties may maintain only one garbage container.
- Non-residential properties maintaining a dumpster or other commercial waste service are not eligible for City solid waste collection services.
- Non-residential service locations must pay for a garbage container if the property is added to a route requiring a container.
Repairing and Replacing Containers
- Property owners are responsible for the cost of repairing or replacing lost, stolen, or vandalized containers. This includes any person who subsequently comes into possession of a residence which had previously been issued a container.
- Replacement garbage containers are $75.00 each.
- Containers damage during collection will be repaired or replaced by the City on the day following their service day. Those who have garbage service on Friday will be scheduled for repair/replacement on Saturday.
- Containers are not transferable from one property to another. Garbage containers have serial numbers and are assigned to service locations not a person or business.
To preserve and enhance the quality of the physical environment and infrastructure through prompt, cost effective and courteous delivery of services which protect the health, safety and welfare of citizens.
Justin Holland, Administrator
1250 Market Street!
Chattanooga TN 37402 (map)!
| Connect with Public Works on Twitter