Household Hazardous Waste Facility
NOW OPEN TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY FROM 8AM TO 3PM !
Closed daily: 11:30AM to 12PM
LATEX PAINT IS NOT ACCEPTED AS IT IS NON-TOXIC
PLEASE DISPOSE OF LATEX PAINT IN YOUR TRASH RECEPTICLE ONCE COMPLETELY DRY
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility
- The Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility allows City and Hamilton County residents to dispose of common hazardous materials generated within their residence.
- Trained staff are on site and ready to unload all acceptable household hazardous materials.
- All of the items collected are properly managed to be either reused, recycled, or disposed of in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws.
3925 North Hawthorne Street
Chattanooga, TN 37406 (map)
Travel north on North Hawthorne Street until the end of the road. Facility is within the Wood Recycle Center.
Hours of Operation
Tuesday through Saturday: 8AM to 3PM
Closed daily: 11:30AM to 12PM
|Common Items Accepted|
|Adhesives||Oil based paint|
|Air conditioning refrigerants||Oven cleaners|
|Carburetor cleaners||Paint remover/thinner|
|Compact fluorescent tubes||Pesticides|
|Computer related electronics||Propane tanks or bottles|
|Drain openers||Smoke detectors|
|Dry cell batteries||Starter fluids|
|Fungicides||Wet cell batteries|
|Grease & rust solvents||Wood & metal cleaners|
|Motor Oil & vehicle fluids|
|Items NOT Accepted|
|Biological Waste||Non computer electronics|
|Commercial hazardous waste||Radioactive waste|
|Latex Paint||Yard waste|
- This facility helps to keep household hazardous waste out of the normal waste stream where it is harmful to the environment.
- Household hazardous waste includes many items used to keep homes clean and lawns maintained.
- One way to reduce the amount of household hazardous waste generated is to use all of the material. This means buying only the amount needed to do the job.
- If materials are left over, ask a friend, neighbor, or community organization if they need it before disposing. This may save a trip to the household hazardous waste facility and may help others.
Household Hazardous Waste
Toxic & Poisonous - Capable of causing injury or death through ingestion, inhalation, or skin absorption.
Corrosive - Can eat away materials and living tissue by chemical reaction.
Reactive - Can react with air, water, or other substances and result in explosions or toxic fumes.
Flammable & Combustible - Can undergo spontaneous combustion at relatively low temperature thereby presenting a significant fire hazard.
Storing and Transporting
- Store materials in dry and well ventilated areas.
- Keep away from children, pets, food, and heat sources.
- Keep products sealed and in original containers. Always store materials upright to avoid spills.
- Clean spills immediately.
- When transporting materials for disposal, place leaking containers in a sturdy, sealed container (5 gallon max) packed with an absorbent material such as cat litter or crumpled newspaper. A heavy duty plastic bag may also be used.
- Materials should be transported in the vehicle's trunk in case of spills.
- Secure containers so they are upright and immobile.
Funded by an agreement with the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation and the City of Chattanooga.
To preserve and enhance the quality of the physical environment and infrastructure through prompt, cost effective and courteous delivery of services which protect the health, safety and welfare of citizens.
Justin Holland, Administrator
1250 Market Street!
Chattanooga TN 37402 (map)
Tweets by CHAPublicWorks
| Connect with Public Works on Twitter