Household Hazardous Waste Facility
LATEX PAINT IS NOT ACCEPTED AS IT IS NON-TOXIC
PLEASE DISPOSE OF LATEX PAINT IN YOUR TRASH RECEPTICLE ONCE COMPLETELY DRY
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility
- The Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility allows City and Hamilton County residents to dispose of common hazardous materials generated within their residence the second Saturday of every month.
- Trained staff are on site and ready to unload all acceptable household hazardous materials.
- All of the items collected are properly managed to be either reused, recycled, or disposed of in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws.
3925 North Hawthorne Street
Chattanooga, TN 37406 (map)
Hours of Operation
Open the second Saturday of each month
8:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m.
|Common Items Accepted|
|Adhesives||Oil based paint|
|Air conditioning refrigerants||Oven cleaners|
|Carburetor cleaners||Paint remover/thinner|
|Compact fluorescent tubes||Pesticides|
|Computers||Propane tanks or bottles|
|Drain openers||Small electronics|
|Dry cell batteries||Smoke detectors|
|Fire extinguishers||Starter fluids|
|Grease & rust solvents||Wet cell batteries|
|Herbicides||Wood & metal cleaners|
|Motor Oil & vehicle fluids|
|Items NOT Accepted|
|Biological Waste||Radioactive waste|
|Commercial hazardous waste||Unidentifiable waste|
This facility accepts only residential hazardous materials. Businesses must contact a commercial hazardous waste collection hauler for proper disposal.
- This facility helps to keep household hazardous waste out of the normal waste stream where it is harmful to the environment.
- Household hazardous waste includes many items used to keep homes clean and lawns maintained.
- One way to reduce the amount of household hazardous waste generated is to use all of the material. This means buying only the amount needed to do the job.
- If materials are left over, ask a friend, neighbor, or community organization if they need it before disposing. This may save a trip to the household hazardous waste facility and may help others.
Household Hazardous Waste
Toxic & Poisonous - Capable of causing injury or death through ingestion, inhalation, or skin absorption.
Corrosive - Can eat away materials and living tissue by chemical reaction.
Reactive - Can react with air, water, or other substances and result in explosions or toxic fumes.
Flammable & Combustible - Can undergo spontaneous combustion at relatively low temperature thereby presenting a significant fire hazard.
Storing and Transporting
- Store materials in dry and well ventilated areas.
- Keep away from children, pets, food, and heat sources.
- Keep products sealed and in original containers. Always store materials upright to avoid spills.
- Clean spills immediately.
- When transporting materials for disposal, place leaking containers in a sturdy, sealed container (5 gallon max) packed with an absorbent material such as cat litter or crumpled newspaper. A heavy duty plastic bag may also be used.
- Materials should be transported in the vehicle's trunk in case of spills.
- Secure containers so they are upright and immobile.
Funded by an agreement with the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation and the City of Chattanooga.
PRESCRIPTION DRUG DROP BOX LOCATIONS
3204 Amnicola Highway @ Chattanooga Police Department, Property and Evidence Room.
Access 24 hours. Contact (423) 643-5153 for details. (Expected availability November 1, 2013)
6233 Dayton Blvd @ Hamilton County Sheriff's Office, West Sector. Available October 28, 2013 from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
8395 Hickory Valley Rd @ Hamilton County Sheriff's Office, East Sector. Available October 28, 2013 from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
To preserve and enhance the quality of the physical environment and infrastructure through prompt, cost effective and courteous delivery of services which protect the health, safety and welfare of citizens.
| Connect with Public Works on Twitter